The Cambridge Encyclopedia of English Language

Friday, April 23, 2010
Posted by Nina

The Cambridge Encyclopedia of English LanguageReview by a User:
This is essentially a "twofer" review - everything I say about this book also applies to Crystal's "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language."

I fell in love with language long ago, so pounced on this book when it first appeared on my horizon several years ago. Since then, I have learned to keep it close by - it migrates from the coffee table to my night table to the bathroom to the breakfast table - I need it handy. I refer to it constantly, and often find myself opening it at random and immediately being hooked by whatever subject comes up.

It's a tremendous compendium of easily accessible information on all aspects of the English language, and there are nuggets of value throughout. It is well-written in a lively, non-pedantic style, and has plenty of illustrations to reinforce understanding and make it more interesting. It's appropriate for most ages except very young children, and is a terrific way to introduce anyone to the wonders and mysteries of our language.

The same remarks hold true for Crystal's "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language." That work is presented in the same way, but with much a broader scope - it covers all aspects of human language. I like to browse in it and then get greater detail from the English Language book - they work very well together.

I'm in awe of Crystal's ability to present such huge subjects so coherently and in such a comprehensive and fascinating way.I strongly recommend both books, for you or for anyone you care about.(By Adelie - USA)

Buy this book at Amazon: The Cambridge Encyclopedia of English Language
E-book Link:http://www.4shared.com/file/hMGyEtp3/The_Cambridge_Encyclopedia_of_.html?s=1

Labels:

0 comments: